We’ve all been there. You see someone at a party and you are dying to talk to them, to introduce yourself, say Hi, get a pic with them or maybe pitch an idea. But then you freeze, like Bambi in the headlights and you don’t know what to say. I’m here to help you break that freeze, move forward and say: Hello my name is….
1. Anxiety: First you will have anxiety, fear, and feelings of unworthiness. But then you are going to get over it and tell yourself: NO…I am good enough and I am going to go up and introduce myself! You will be amazed to find out that we are all just people and all just human and “most” people will respond politely at your introduction.
2. Superhero Status: What kind of superhero status have you built up in your mind about this person? Are they a big social media influencer? Is it Julia Roberts? Who is it? I’ll be honest, if it’s Julia Roberts, she might have a body guard blocking so that no one can approach. But other than an A list celeb, you can and should approach the person you see across the room that you are dying to meet. You will be amazed to find out that we are all just people and all just human and “most” people will respond politely at your introduction.
3. Practice: If you know that you have parties and/or networking events coming up, practice and prepare for who you might meet and what you might say. Look at yourself in the mirror, stand up straight, shoulders back and make strong eye contact as you introduce yourself. Hi my name is… You will be amazed to find out that we are all just people and all just human and “most” people will respond politely at your introduction.
4. Leave Your Comfort Zone: Watch your body language at public events. Please do not slouch in a corner and think that anyone will come up to you, because they won’t. I walked into a huge party by myself this week. I was the plus one of my business partner and he got there way before me. I walked into a room of a couple hundred people and it was dark and loud. I held my head high with my shoulders back. I walked passed everyone, saying hi with a big smile. I had my eye on the horizon, looking for people that I knew so that I could find a quick comfort zone. Within minutes I ran into people I knew and started chatting mindlessly about everything and anything. Without being rude, I always have my eye on the party to see who’s in the room. I never stay too long with one person or group because my goal is to meet new people every time that I go out. If you let yourself, you will meet amazing people at every event. Step outside of your comfort zone and meet new people. You will be amazed to find out that we are all just people and all just human and “most” people will respond politely at your introduction.
5. Ask for the Introduction: Go ahead and ask people to introduce you or just go up and say hello. One of my current business partners is someone that I used to run into constantly at social mixers. At lunch one day, he shared his vision with us and we knew in that moment, it was a multi-million dollar winner. Another one of my business partners, made a flat out direct pitch to me earlier this year when I was at the birthday party of a social media influencer. I loved the idea and now we have a new multi-million dollar project together in Dallas. To be fair, I did already know her but it was a bold move to pull me aside at a party and say: Trish I have an amazing idea. Come to Dallas and let me show you. I get pitched all the time and usually I politely decline. But once a year, someone will blow me away with their creativity and uniqueness. You will be amazed to find out that we are all just people and all just human and “most” people will respond politely at your introduction.
6. Timing is everything. If your favorite influencer is surrounded by a group of people and deep in conversation, don’t burst in and say HI. You have to watch and approach carefully when the time is right. They are used to constantly being interrupted at parties by people who want to meet them, take pics or pitch offers. So just plan it right in order to get the best response. You will be amazed to find out that we are all just people and all just human and “most” people will respond politely at your introduction.
7. Have a cocktail. One or two drinks are fine. When it comes to being at parties and events, it’s great to have a drink to loosen up. I always head to the bar when I arrive at an event. I start chatting with people as we are waiting in the bar line. That first cocktail helps us loosen up and be able to approach people. If you are reaching for a third drink, you are probably already drunk so don’t do it. Don’t be the person that is sloppy and falling all over people, laughing loudly when no one else is laughing. For the third drink, I always do club soda with lime. My brain and hand don’t know the difference. I treat it like it’s a cocktail. I hold it the same and drink it the same and everyone assumes it vodka and seven. This way I can keep moving through the crowd, meeting new people, taking pics and having a great time without stumbling! You will be amazed to find out that we are all just people and all just human and “most” people will respond politely at your introduction. And if you see ME at a party or event, use this strategy to come up and introduce yourself as well!
So there you have it, my Absolute Guide on How to Talk to Influential People. I hope you enjoyed this blog. As always I write from the heart and from my own personal life experiences. If you liked it, please click the heart and share it with your friends! Be sure to subscribe to my blog so that you never miss an episode of “Trish-Talk.”
Life is a series of ups and downs. We all win and we all lose. No person or corporation can stay on a winning streak 100% of the time. It’s simply impossible. Get a good business coach to take you through the tough times and help you structure a new business or restructure an existing business. Sometimes we simply cannot see outside of our own box. It takes an outside eye to come in and open the blinds for us.
If you haven’t already purchased my Amazon Best Selling book yet: Super Star Hiring Systems, it’s a MUST HAVE for anybody in business and/or management. It details the process of creating the right team for your company and the systems for hiring and retaining an amazing team!0